Flying Start Nursery
Getting to know the adults
How to help, support and prepare your child with their transition into Nursery.
Below are some good ideas to consider over the coming weeks, these are activities that you can do and discuss at home with your child before they start with us:
- Practise putting on their school uniform and P.E kit to get them used to wearing it and dressing themselves independently. Ensure it has their name clearly written in all of their uniform/kit so that they can identify their own clothes. In addition, ensure your child has plenty of opportunities to wear their school shoes before joining us. This will ensure they are not uncomfortable during their first week.
- Please practise putting on their school coat, learning how to zip and un-zip it.
- Begin to put a story book into their book bag and encourage them to read it once a day, so that they get use to knowing what their book bag is. Explain that they will have special reading books from Nursery when they start and they are to be kept in their book bag.
- If your child is having a pack lunch, familiarise your child with it and practise eating out of it during lunchtime at home a week or so before they join us.
- Take your child for regular walks past the school so that they familiarise themselves with walking to and identifying their new setting.
- Share the virtual tour video with your child and the ‘Getting to know the adults sheet’ so that the children can recognise and identify the adults working in their classroom.
What to bring on your first day. Spare clothes, book bag, slippers, wellies, lunch box if they're not having a school dinner.
Snack and Lunch
We are now signing all of the children up for our free milk scheme so you do not need to this. If your child does not drink milk we will provide them with water, there is no need to send a water bottle. As we have a self service station the children are able to help themselves to their snack during their choosing time throughout the day. We do ask that you do not send your child with juice.
Your child will also receive a free piece of fruit, which again is self-service and available at our snack station.
Lunch time takes place in our school hall at 11:30am our children sit and eat their lunch together and are supervised by the Nursery adults. School dinners can be booked and paid for to enable your child to have a hot school dinner. The cost of a school dinner is £2.40 a day. This can be booked via our School Money platform. You will be sent registration details once your child has started with us. You can also fill in the Early Year Pupil Premium form to see if your child is eligible for free school meals, this was in your welcome pack. Otherwise, we ask that you send your child with a packed lunch.